The following general requirements shall apply to the splicing of reinforcement:
- Splices of reinforcement shall be made only as required or permitted on the design drawings or in specifications.
- The splice shall be made by welding, by mechanical means, by end-bearing, or by lapping.
- Splicing of reinforcement shall take into account the requirements of Clause 19.1.3 regarding the placement of concrete.
- Splices required in bars in tension tie members shall be made only by welding or mechanical means.
- Lapped splices shall not be used for bars in compression with diameter larger than 40 mm and for bars in tension with diameter larger than 32 mm.
- Welding of reinforcing bars shall not be made less than 3db from that part of a bar that has been bent and re-straightened.